Thursday, July 23, 2009

Improve Your Networking through Unique Customer Service

I keep seeing tips to better small business networking everywhere I go. For example: at some point everyone has a problem with their cell phone and must venture into one of those stores or up to a kiosk where you most often you end up with a high school age employee who isn't really concerned with your problem. They'll happily sell you something new or pass you on to the toll-free customer service number, but they don't really want to take the time to truly help you. So, my expectations were pretty low as I ventured into a T-Mobile store in Kent. I needed to figure out how to get my pictures off my cell phone and on to my computer. I waited for the next available clerk when fate stepped in to assist me.

A young man, Raphael, approached and I explained my challenge. He showed me what many people use, but quickly said there was another alternative. I could just buy a memory chip and then a twenty dollar reader that allowed me to download the chip directly to my computer. A must less expensive option, and the memory chips were on sale. He went to get my sale chip, but they were out. Instead, he handed me his own memory chip saying he had just upgraded to more memory and didn't need it. Raphael then proceeded to install the chip, transfered all my photos and rang up my mere twenty dollar sale.

To say Raphael gave above and beyond customer service is an understatement. He listened to what I needed, found the best and most cost effective and even gave me 'the memory chip off his back' so to speak. Now, I've dealt with cell phone stores before and have never come close to this level of immediate gratification service. So, I'm pretty sure this experience comes in great part to who Raphael really is and how he personally does business.

That being said, as a marketing writer, I try to steer my small business clients clear of using platitudes like "great customer service" unless they have a good qualifier. In other words, what does that really mean and how does it make you stand out from your competition. Otherwise, it just doesn't mean anything to your potential customers...so you're better off not saying it at all. However, if you can show what that "great customer service" really means...then it can become an effective part of your marketing message.

So, what does any of this have to do with small business networking? Well, networking is about developing business relationships. And, part of building that relationship involves increasing your credibility. You do that by demonstrating, in everything you do, how you do business...and that starts with your networking. Now I'm not saying you have to give things away, like Raphael, but there are ways you can demonstrate your great customer service at any small business networking opportunity.

1. Focus on them not you: Ask about their business and goals, introduce them to someone new; ask for their card for future follow up.

2. Follow through with plans: If you said you'd call them the next day to schedule a meeting or forward that invite to another event, be sure you do that. The sooner you do this the better.

3. Surprise them with the unexpected: If they mentioned their love of sailing, send them info about (or even free tickets to) the upcoming boat show. People love it when you remember something personal about them.

Bottomline is that showing you are interested in them and their business and truly listened to what they said will win you major 'great customer service' points every time you network your small business. You'll build credibility and strengthen those business relationships. Before you know it, those people won't imagine doing business with anyone but you.

Happy Networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment